For decades, I’ve been enjoying a vegetarian meal for Thanksgiving. Here is an example from 2014. A “traditional” feel without a bird’s body as a centerpiece.
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Menu:
- Radha’s Main Dish Stuffing* & Vegetarian Gravy (*recipe below)
- Mashed Potatoes
- Pearl Onions baked in a Cream Sauce
- Broccolini with lemon butter or crispy garlic & parsley olive oil
- Sauteed Portabello Mushrooms w/ rosemary, garlic, & Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- Cranberry Sauce
- Celery stuffed with Home-Made Pimento Cheese
- Cucumbers & Cherry Tomatoes with fresh dill & vinaigrette
- Pumpkin Pie two ways – with a traditional crust & a gingersnap crumb crust with gingersnap streusel topping
*Radha’s Thanksgiving Main Dish Vegetarian Stuffing Recipe:
- 12 cups fresh whole wheat bread cubes
- 3 cups canned garbanzos (chickpeas) mashed (save liquid)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups sliced green pepper
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 5 TB Nutritional Yeast Flakes, lightly pan-toasted
- 5 TB butter or vegan margarine
- 4 TB Soy Sauce
- 2 cups Imagine “No-Chicken” or Mushroom Broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 whole sprigs of rosemary plus 1 TB fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 TB fresh sage, minced
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
Melt butter or vegan margarine in a small saucepan. Add water, nutritional yeast, tamari, sprigs of rosemary and bay leaves. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and rosemary.
Put all other ingredients into a large bowl and mix. Pour in broth mixture and mix well. Should be moist – add reserved liquid from chickpeas as needed.
Place in an oiled 9 x 12 baking dish.
Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated 400-degree oven 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 20 minutes or until veggies are tender and the top is browned.
Pumpkin Pie two ways: Gingersnap Crust w/ Gingersnap Streusel Topping and Traditional Crust – both eggless.
Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!!!