Vegetarian Chik’n Pot Pie – original recipe
~ A family favorite for the fall and winter holiday season ~
I actually took the time to write the recipe and instructions for this one! Enjoy!
Crust for a 9″ deep dish 2-crust pie
- 1 pkg vegetarian Chik’N Strips
- 2 cups vegetarian broth plus 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
- 1-1/4 cup potato cut into 1/4″ cubes
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced small carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 5 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each: celery seed, garlic powder, black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cups half-n-half or unsweetened soy creamer
- 1 Tb flour
- 1 Tb finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tb chopped fresh sage
Preheat oven to 350. Prep bottom pie crust (I pre-bake a bit before filling.)
Heat 2 Tb oil over med-low heat in medium-sized skillet. Add Chik’N and saute for a few minutes until browned. Set aside.
Heat 3 Tb oil over medium heat in a large heavy-bottom pan. Add potatoes, cook 5 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking. Add onions, carrots, mushrooms, celery and celery seed. Cook 5 more minutes.
Crumble bouillon cube into measured broth. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder and pour over vegetables. Add frozen peas. Cook 5 more minutes. Blend 1 Tb flour into half-n-half or soy creamer. Stir into vegetables along with rosemary and sage, and stir for one minute. Remove from heat. Add Chik’N.
Heap into bottom pie crust. Top with 2nd crust, flute edges and prick with a fork 8 times.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until crust is browned. Cool 10-15 minutes before serving.